Visit all the must-see sites in Turkey's enchanting southern Cappadocia region on this full-day tour! With an expert local guide at your side, discover Kaymakli's subterranean city, rock-carved churches in the Red Valley, and abandoned cliff houses in Çavuşin village. See bird-nesting caves in Pigeon Valley and learn all about the history of this fascinating region and the geology of its volcano-created landscape.
- Departure point: Istanbul Ataturk Airport
- Departure time: 6.55am
- Duration: 15 hours (approx.)
- Return details: Returns to original departure point at approximately 9pm
Rate: $95 per person
- Full-day tour of southern Cappadocia with an expert local guide
- Walk along trails in the Red Valley and see cave churches that were used by ancient Christians
- Discover ancient Çavuşin village and see its rock houses carved into the hillside
- Head below ground to visit Kaymakli Underground City
- Enjoy a photo stop at Pigeon Valley
- Hotel pickup and drop-off from your Göreme or Ürgüp hotel
Cappadocia Tour Itinerary
Leave your hotel and head to the south of the Cappadocia, known for its fascinating landscape with colorful rock formations, fairy chimneys and ancient underground dwellings. While traveling in the comfort of your air-conditioned coach, your guide will explain some of the geology of the area and its must-see sites.
First stop of your day is in the remote Red Valley, often considered to be Cappadocia's most serene stretch of land, where people can walk for hours without seeing another soul. Take a stroll along the nature trails here with your guide, enjoying the colorful flowers, grape vines and distinctive rock formations that typify the valley. The area is home to countless hidden cave churches that are thought to have been used by ancient Christians, so take a look at some of the most intriguing ones with your guide, and then head to Çavuşin village.
Now abandoned, the 'old' area of Çavuşin is carved into the hillside comprising a collection of fascinating rock houses, monk caves and shelters that have been exposed to hundreds of years of weathering and erosion. Learn about the isolated lives of villagers who once called this precarious place their home, and see the village's famous Basilica of St John the Baptist that rests high on the cliffs above the ancient village.
Cappadocia is also famous for its intriguing underground cities, and one of the best-preserved sites is Kaymakli. Travel here next by coach and then head below ground to walk around its maze of passages, seeing subterranean cellars and stables.
Before your tour ends, stop for lunch in a local restaurant and then enjoy one last stop at Pigeon Valley (on the edge of Göreme village) to see thousands of sandstone bird houses, carved from the cliffs. For centuries local farmers used the manure from the pigeons nesting here to fertilize their crops. Hop off your coach for a photo stop, and then return to your hotel.
Cappadocia Tour Includes
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Professional tour guide
- Transport by air-conditioned coach
- Entrance fee to Kaymakli Underground City
Cappadocia Tour Excludes
- Tips for your guide and driver
- Any other services that is not listed in the inclusions
- Confirmation will be received within 24 hours of payment
- A small amount of walking is involved
- Not wheelchair accessible