Discover stunning Ihlara Valley in the south of Cappadocia on this unforgettable full-day tour. Traveling by air-conditioned coach, your tour passes through this incredible volcano-created valley, stopping at intriguing sites on the way. Head below ground to explore Derinkuyu Underground City and find secret tunnels in Selime Monastery. See where scenes from the Star Wars movies were filmed in Yaprakhisar and soak up panoramic views of Cappadocia’s magical landscape.
- Departure point: Your Cappadocia hotel
- Departure time: Hotel pickup starts between 9am and 9:30am
- Duration: 8 hours (approx.)
- Return details: Returns to original departure point at approximately 5pm
Rate: $95 per person
- Full-day Cappadocia tour to Ihlara Valley with an expert local guide
- Explore Derinkuyu Underground City – the deepest ancient dwelling in the region
- Discover Selime Monastery and wander around its secret passageways
- Head to the cave village of Yaprakhisar and see where scenes from the Star Wars movies were filmed
- Hotel pickup and drop-off from your Göreme or Ürgüp hotel
Cappadocia Tour Itinerary
Leave your Cappadocia hotel and travel by air-conditioned coach to Derinkuyu Underground City -- the deepest of the region's intriguing subterranean cities. Carved by Turkey's prehistoric Troglodytes, this incredible underground world contains courtyards, stables, churches and wineries all intertwined in an extensive network of tunnels. Explore underground with your guide and see where ancient civilizations once worked, slept and worshipped.
Near Derinkuyu is Ihlara Valley – a 10-mile (16km) gorge that was formed thousands of years ago from a volcanic eruption. The valley is a popular route for hikers who come to be at one with nature and see its rock-carved churches scattered along its path. Rather than walking the full length of the gorge, enjoy its beauty from the comfort of your coach as you follow it along Melendiz River. Stop for lunch on the way and relax before your tour continues.
At the northern edge of the gorge is Selime Monastery, so stop here to explore. This fascinating complex was carved into the rock face by monks in the 13th century and comprises a church, kitchen and stables with feeding troughs. Wander around the secret passageways and peer out of its open 'tunnel' windows for panoramic views over the valley.
Before returning to your hotel, enjoy a final stop at the cave village of Yaprakhisar, nested into the Ihlara Valley canyon, to see the legendary Yaprakhisar panorama. Several scenes from the Star Wars movies were filmed here and the viewpoint boasts unforgettable views of the cave village, Selime Monastery and countless fairy chimneys.
Cappadocia Tour Includes
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Professional tour guide
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan
- Entrance fee to Derinkuyu Underground City
Cappadocia Tour Excludes
- Tips for your guide and driver
- Any other services that is not listed in the inclusions