Feel, cook and feast like a local on this engrossing private food and culture tour in Turkey's Central Anatolia region. Traveling by private vehicle with a private guide, head to the village of Ayvali to experience its cuisine and customs. Be welcomed into a villager's home, help them prepare a delicious Anatolian lunch of 'yaprak sarmas' vine leaves and 'börek' pastries, and sit down to eat with the family! Explore a market, orchard or food storage cave; learn about the villagers' lifestyles, and sample Cappadocian wines in an authentic wine cave.
- Departure point:Your centrally located Cappadocia hotel (Nevsehir, Uchisar, Goreme, Urgup, Avanos, Ortahisar, Mustafapasa and Cavusin only)
- Departure time: 8.30am
- Duration: 4 hours (approx.)
- Return details : Concludes at original departure point
Rate: $85 per person
- 4-hour private Cappadocia food and culture tour with private transport
- Visit the traditional village of Ayvali in Cappadocia in Central Anatolia
- Help prepare a typical Anatolian meal with a villager inside their family home
- Lunch on the specialties you help create, such as yaprak sarmasi vine-leaf rolls and börek pastries
- Sample Cappadocian wines in a traditional wine cave
- Enjoy Turkish coffee and learn about local customs at the kiraathane, the male villagers' meeting place
- This private tour ensures an in-depth experience and undivided attention from your guide
Cappadocia Tour Itinerary
Meet your private guide at your centrally located Cappadocia hotel and board your comfortable private vehicle. Then, with your guide serving as driver, travel to the remote village of Ayvali in Turkey's Central Anatolia to meet its friendly people, join in age-old customs and sample its distinctive cuisine and wines.
Start with a leisurely walk around the local food market, checking out the most interesting stalls and chatting to traders with your guide. On days when the market is closed, either walk to the village orchard to pick your own organic fruit, or visit one of the cool storage caves, to see where the villagers hoard their citrus fruits and potatoes throughout the year.
Stroll through Ayvali's tiny streets with your guide, and pass houses where locals may invite you in for tea or to try homemade desserts from their kitchens. Stop at the kiraathane, a bustling little place that loosely translates as 'reading room,' but is in fact a meeting place for village men. Try a traditional Turkish coffee here and find out about the male villager's lifestyle from your guide.
You'll then be invited into a villager's home to meet their family and chat about their daily lives. After checking out their garden to see the crops of fruit and vegetables, help create a typical Anatolian 'small-plate' meal under the watchful eye of your guide.
While traditional bulgur soup bubbles away on the stove, you can help prepare a portion of yaprak sarmasi — a delicate starter of seasoned rice wrapped in grape leaves — and then roll out the manti dough needed to make Turkish ravioli. Fill a börek pastry with a local cheese that's been ripened in an earthenware jug, and then mix ingredients for the dolaz — a delicious fried dessert served with local honey.
Sit down with the family and your guide to eat, chatting about the local delicacies and cooking techniques. Finish your meal with a strong Turkish coffee and then bid your friendly hosts goodbye.
To walk off your Turkish feast, take a stroll through one the village's secluded valleys before heading off in your private vehicle with your guide to a wine cave. Here, you'll spend roughly half an hour exploring the caves, learning about Cappadocian wines, and sampling a few glasses of the wine yourself.
Then, hop into your private vehicle for your return journey, and finish your tour with a hotel drop-off.
Cappadocia Tour Includes
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Lunch in Ayvali village
- Turkish coffee
- Local guide
- Wine-tasting session
Cappadocia Tour Excludes
- Food and drinks (unless specified)
- Gratuities (recommended)
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking